Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Newspaper Reflection

Something I contributed to our newspaper "The Daily Ari" that I really liked is the pull-out quotes. I like the layout of them because I feel it looks very professional and clean. The lines surrounding them give them a clean break away from the text. I enlarged the text within the lines and bolded them so the stood out more and I feel by doing that, it achieved exactly what I wanted which was to make them stand out from the text and be eye catching.


Something I contributed that I would improve on would be the text of my article. I feel like maybe one more draft and it could have been a lot better. There was some evidence that I wanted to include but I felt like my article was already so long I wouldn't have the room on the newspaper to fit it all on there. I think the story I have on the newspaper is good but it just could have been better if I added that extra evidence, that way my article could be more informative because I know when I read an article I like to know as much as possible about what I'm reading.
Something else I would improve on is the empty space at the bottom of three of the articles. Visually, that is not appealing. I feel like in those three articles, maybe I should have added another pull-quote or filled the space with a creative ad or something along those lines. The reason why is because in real newspapers all the space is filled up, each space is used to fit more information to inform the reader on even more things or make it fun for the reader and that's what I wanted to do with our newspaper.

I think overall, I did a good job managing my time and using my resources. I think Wednesday I could have used my time better by waiting to look for pictures at home and continuing revising and adding to my article because for me, writing the article was more challenging then finding the picture I wanted to use. Also, on Wednesday if I was looking for pictures I should have photoshopped them to make them more creative and so that no one else in the class would have the same photo as me. I don't know why I didn't do that. It just didn't occur to me but if I could do this over again, I would find a day where I had a little bit of extra time and photoshop a picture.
Also, if given more time I would add that extra evidence to my article, seeing how when I put the actual paper together and I hade some extra room I should have done that but I didn't think of it. I was trying to get the paper done and make it so it looked nice but knowing what I know now and after looking our paper over, I would have done that to my article.

No comments: