Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Interesting Topic We Have Discussed

A topic that we have discussed in class that I found particularly interesting is how debates between candidates have changed over the year. It has become more easier for candidates to answer and just say what pleases the crowd rather then back then when they had much more time to talk and say an actual speech rather then just a short two minute answer to a specific question. It just goes to show how things have changed over time. The reason I say this is because when I think of the presidential debates now of days and compare it to the debates that took place before, it seems like those aren't the only things that have changed over the course of time.


We briefly discussed in math how math education levels have gone down. It now seems more socially acceptable to be illiterate in math but not so much in something such as reading. For me, it just seems that knowledge back then was much more valuable to people. I know that certain readings back then, such as Common Sense by Thomas Paine, was read to people who didn't know how to read, just for the fun of it. I'm sure it was a lot "cooler" back then to be an educated person, compared to now, it's acceptable not to understand something and at the same time not even want to give an effort to learn it.

Just like the debates that seem to have grown easier over time, I feel that everything is growing to be so much easier for us. Thanks to the help of technology, I feel like people depend more on a machine then their own brain. But I'm not blaming technology or anything.

No comments: