Friday, February 6, 2009

Economy Advice


The economy as of right now is not in a good state of being. If I were to have a meeting with president Obama in the Oval Office I would spend my time addressing the issue on how if we focus on a greener environment it could improve the overall economy in the US. I would talk about how if we worked toward getting rid of global warming it may help not only the environment but the lives of the US citizens. In an article I found it states

"in the next 12 years, the state's investment in fighting global warming and improving energy efficiency will create as many as 403,000 jobs and increase household incomes by $48 billion."
While doing research I found that as the oil runs out the cost of the little amount there is increases and we spend money on that rather then if we look into using untapped resources such as wind energy, solar energy etc. it could not only improve the environment but also create more jobs for people. This is important because once people have jobs they will get money and be able to spend it on other things which will in turn help to stimulate the economy.
I started reading a book titled "The Green Collar Economy" by Van Jones. It talks about how trying to improve our current environment status could also improve the economy. In the first chapter if the book it states
"There is a wiser and more civilized alternative. Rather then continuing to base our economy on a finite supply of dead things, we can base it on sources that are practically infinite and eternal: the sun, the moon, and the Earth's inner fire."
I would bring this to president Obama's attention. I would ask him to consider looking into these sources so that it can create jobs for others. I would also bring to his attention how that already it has been proven by past related events that by trying to improve the environment actually would improve the economy. The evidence is this
"The energy efficiency efforts of California began in the 1970s and have already shown a green economy is a good economy. By adopting new building codes and appliance standards, Californians saved $56 billion between 1972 and 2006 and saw 1.5 million related jobs created."
I would then begin to brainstorm ideas on new energy sources we could look into and talk about how we should begin putting those plans into action immediately. Following that should be a green environment and a more stable economy!
Green Economy
The Green Collar Economy


----------------------------------------
I plan on holding my interview with my mentor Tuesday the 10th and will use my phone to record the interview.


No comments: