Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Farmer in Chief Reflection

After reading the article I thought it was very thought provoking. Although he brought up many good points on why we need to change our eating habits or the ways to go about changing our food resources, I thought the solutions he provided were very unrealistic on a large scale. I think the main reason why people don’t particularly care about where their food comes from or how its made is because they are uninformed. I think in order to get food to a place where it is more natural instead of industrialized the first step we need to take is to inform the public and make it more aware such as promoting it through commercials like the “non smoking” people do. I think the best we can do right now is inform people. During the discussion in class, much was brought up about people having their own garden so they can grow their food and cook it themselves and in turn be more “healthy”. To me, that seems unrealistic because I feel not everyone is going to want to plant their own garden or maybe not everyone cares about the health risks that come with eating fast food everyday. The main problem with trying to fix the food industry and making it more organic and healthy is that people are going to do what they want, and what they want is connivence. If they have the money then I’m sure they would much rather go out and buy a meal then spend two hours making it.


Another point that he made in the article was about the cost of shipping food to different places in the world. In the article I remember him talking about how they catch fish in Alaska, send it to China to be filleted, then send it to California to be bought and consumed. That is very impractical. My question is why do they do that? Why can’t the fish be filleted here? I’m sure there are people in the U.S that know how to fillet a fish. I would think that the cost to do all that labor here in one country would be cheaper then sending it to another and back.


I agree with his idea of teaching younger children how to make more health conscious decisions when it comes to food. I think what we need to do is teach the future generations because they are the ones that will see more of the after effects of our actions now and maybe be able to stop them. Investing money in school programs so that they can teach children in school would be a good way to get children learn about this. Or maybe not even teaching them how to grow a garden but rather how to pick the more healthy choice while in the grocery store buying food. Either way think its the future generations that we should be informing.


After all this reading I feel like I read stuff that I already knew. Unfortunately, I probably won't be planting a garden anytime soon but I think I will definitely teach my children to be more healthy when it comes to food.

No comments: